Our electrical steels support the generation, distribution and consumption of electricity. They are used in a variety of applications including:
- motors within the energy transmission and transport networks
- smaller-sized units within the automotive sector
- industrial machines
- household appliances
Electrical steels play a vital role in the generation, transmission, distribution and use of electrical power. They are one of the most important magnetic materials produced today. We supply a wide range of processed grain-oriented and non-oriented electrical steels. Our quality-assured electrical steels deliver:
- consistent magnetic performance
- excellent delivery performance
We also offer new coatings that combine performance with environmental and safety benefits.
We have extensive in-house knowledge and experience of electrical steels and their applications – including many years of first-hand experience in downstream processing within the group.
At Cogent, we understand how flexibility and speed contribute to the success of our customers in today’s marketplace. That’s why we work in conjunction with our downstream business, CPI in Canada, as well as other partners. It means we can deliver supply chain benefits of processed electrical steel supplied locally and fully supported by the manufacturing mill.
Our responsive approach enables customers to:
- act quickly to win business
- keep stocks low
- operate as efficiently as possible
Innovative solutions for improved efficiency
As the global consumption of electricity continues to rise, our focus is to deliver innovative solutions to support improved efficiencies in the generation, transmission and consumption of electricity.
The delivery of a consistently highly-efficient electrical steel is essential to maintaining high-performing generators, transformers and motors in their final application. We ensure the high performance of our materials throughout their application life cycle through:
- the reliable quality of the insulation coatings we apply to our electrical steels
- maintenance of exact tolerances
Grain-oriented electrical steel
We supply grain-oriented electrical steel which is an essential material in the manufacture of:
- energy-efficient transformers
- large, high-performance generators
The unrivalled magnetic properties of grain-oriented electrical steel are a result of its unique grain structure - formed through a complex production process starting from high-silicon, hot-rolled coil feedstock.
During the secondary re-crystallisation process some grains grow to over 30mm in length, whereas mild steels require a microscope to view the grain structure. The orientation of the enhanced grain structure provides significantly better magnetic properties in the rolling direction of the sheet.
Non-oriented electrical steel
Non-oriented electrical steels are critical in the manufacture of:
- rotating machines of all sizes
- small transformers
- a variety of other electromagnetic applications
The magnetic properties of these steels are combined with tailored insulation coatings - offering the best performance required for the manufacturing process and final application.
Our product range also includes:
- Hi-Lite ultra-thin gauge grades - offering the superior performance required for high-frequency applications
- HP-grades for applications where improved permeability is of importance
A recent addition to our product portfolio are grades with guaranteed mechanical strength.
New coatings combine performance with environmental benefits
At Cogent we believe that an environmentally responsible company is a successful company. We ensure that our materials are produced in a safe and environmentally-friendly environment. This duty of care is carried forward into our products and their application. That’s why we offer:
- chrome-free phosphate insulation coating. This coating is applied to our entire grain-oriented product range. It eliminates the risks from hexavalent chrome and delivers a superior insulation coating which is safe and environmentally friendly.
- Suralac 7000FF – a formaldehyde-free, organic coating. This ensures a clean working environment in application, free from potentially hazardous fumes.
Our new bonded coating, Suralac 9000, is now available for our thin gauge products. This coating may be heated to enable lamination stacks to bond together. This type of bonding delivers improved noise performance for large volume production of thin materials. It is compatible with other traditional insulation coatings.
For further information please visit our dedicated website www.cogent-power.com.