Our narrow strip mill has a long-established reputation for providing precision strip products. These are tailored to meet the needs of cold-rollers and customers in many market sectors including:
- Lifting & Excavating
We manufacture a range of steel grades, from low carbon and free-cutting steels to high carbon, alloy and stainless steels. These offer varying strength, formability, durability and hardness properties to suit the requirements of a wide variety of applications.
The quality of our products, our wide technical knowledge, our specialist logistics expertise and our precision manufacturing mean we are able to service a growing a global network of demanding customers. Ongoing research, development and investment ensure that we continue to lead the way in steel advances. It means we can offer cutting-edge products that keep pace with the very latest developments in your industry. Investment is enabling our expansion into niche markets – and helping us to maintain our position as one of the world's leading narrow mills.
We also offer a hire rolling service.
Why choose narrow strip?
Our narrow strip products offer a range of benefits:
- manufactured to close tolerances, our narrow strip material is ideally suited to demanding, safety-critical and highly-specialised applications
- our hot-rolled strip is produced in tailor-made sizes to fit your exact requirements and cut waste
- hot-rolled thin gauge (TG) material below 1.5mm provides access to significant benefits including cost savings during processing
- strength, formability and hardness are optimised to suit the application - for customised product performance
Our services offer benefits too:
- our experienced team provides a tailored, reliable service to meet your specific technical, logistical and commercial support requirements
- from slab stock, we can offer quantities from three tonnes upwards - with outstanding lead time and delivery reliability
- Tata Steel’s integrated supply chain gives you unrivalled access to steel grades and unique optimised chemistries
- our technical expertise and support service means we can offer a metals solution to meet your needs
- hire/toll rolling of over 200 non-ferrous/special/super alloy materials to customers' exacting specifications
Technical support for optimised customer operations
We have a dedicated technical team of experienced metallurgists and material engineers. Our team can advise you on material selection and help with identification of steel grades from most international standards.
We also offer customer support on production-related issues including:
- increasing your production runs
- yield savings
- lowering the cost of raw material
We can also evaluate competitor products and investigate component failures.
Our facilities include an on-site laboratory for hardness, tensile and metallurgical testing. A chemical analysis service is available at our sister steelmaking facility. In addition, we also have access to Tata Steel’s research, development and technology facilities for sophisticated examinations using electron microscopy and other advanced techniques.
Our processes and systems are certified to ISO9001:2008 enabling us to offer you reliable, consistent quality and service.
Click here for an e-learning overview of how narrow strip is processed.
We have extensive experience of hire rolling a vast array of ferrous and non-ferrous alloy, special metals and stainless steel grades. Over the years, this has led to refinement of reheating and rolling processes for manufacture of high quality products. Typically, we can offer very short lead times of one - two weeks (from slab delivery at our mill).
Our hire rolled products are used within a number of industries including electrical, computer, aerospace and automotive. Typical grades include:
- high nickel alloys (approx 30-100% Ni)
- nickel-copper alloys
- nickel-chrome alloys
- high manganese alloys (74% Mn)
- cobalt irons (24-90% Co)
- maraging steel
- non-ferrous grades such as pure copper, nickel and titanium
- nickel-based superalloys
- cobalt-based superalloys
- pure iron
- Fe-Cr-Al grades
- specialised stainless grades
Typical applications include:
- electrical connectors
- electrical shielding
- motor and alternator laminations
- circuit breakers
- heating elements and sheaths
- bi-metallic strip
- battery cases
- gas turbine components
- aerospace fasteners
- magnetic sensors
- fuel Injectors
- nuclear industry components
- defence industry components