Our world-beating range of special profile products includes:
- unique, ‘reserved profiles’ which have been designed for individual customer requirements
- ‘open roll’ profiles which are available to all customers
We produce special profiles for a number of market sectors. To find out more, please click on the industry or product of your choice:
What are special profiles?
Special profiles are specially-shaped, long steel sections. They are used to make components for a wide range of industries. The profile shape and steel chemistry are ‘tailor made’ to minimise the amount of further work necessary to manufacture a finished component.
How are they made?
Special profiles are manufactured from steel blooms via a hot rolling process. Tata Steel’s range of special profiles is the most comprehensive in the world. We can roll profiles up to a maximum of 260kg/metre. This provides an almost infinite range of possible profile shapes – from simple profiles with non-standard dimensions, to highly complex and asymmetrical shapes.
We have roll design and machining capability to create the rolls and tooling necessary to manufacture special profiles. In most cases, the rolls and tooling developed for a customer’s profile are reserved for their use only. We develop long-term relationships with customers to develop and modify the profile ranges they require.
Open roll profiles
Some special profiles are available on an 'open roll' basis (open to all customers) where there are common industry or customer requirements. Please review our product range for details.
In addition to hot rolling profiles, we also offer a range of further processing. This includes
- cold sawing to exact bar length
- shotblasting and painting
- a range of fabrication and machining operations.
Please contact us for details.
The benefits of special profiles
Our special profiles offer many benefits compared with alternative methods for manufacturing steel components. These include :
- cost and time savings - by eliminating the need for fabrication work and multiple handling
- reliable and repeatable processing – through tight dimensional tolerances and more uniform mechanical properties
- reduced end-product weight - by combining asymmetric profile shapes with an appropriate steel composition
A new special profile for you
If you have an idea for a special profile, we will be happy to discuss it with you. Please contact us and provide the following information:
- A sketch or drawing showing the shape and dimensions of the profile
- The steel grade or mechanical properties required
- An indication of the annual volume (tonnes or metres)