Payload optimisation – improving the carrying capacity of a vehicle – is the most urgent and demanding issue facing the freight transport sector.
The goals of payload optimisation are to:
- Increase the amount of freight that can be transported per tractor-trailer
- Raise vehicle payload to reduce the weight of tractors and semi-trailers
- Develop lightweight semi-trailer construction – vital in a competitive and environmentally sensitive market
Innovation is the key to market leadership
BERGERecotrail® is regarded as the benchmark business in the design and production of semi-trailers. Tata Steel’s role was to help the customer maintain its market-leading position by continuing to innovate leading-edge products.
Having supplied BERGERecotrail with all sheet products for more than ten years, Tata Steel identified its Ympress® S700MC product as ideal material for the customer’s lightweight and payload-optimised semi-trailers.
High performance steel to create top quality semi-trailers
The Ympress product range consists of hot-rolled, high-strength and low-alloy steels notable for their outstanding formability. Moreover, product characteristics – such as mechanical properties, steel chemistry and the tightest dimensional tolerances – remain consistent.
The high strength and outstanding formability of Ympress S700MC would enable BERGERecotrail to:
- Design components with lower wall thickness
- Guarantee required stability and safety
- Build semi-trailers with an extremely low unladen weight – less than 4.7 tonnes
- Demonstrate very high fatigue strength
An extra benefit is that BERGERecotrail could use Ympress S700MC to produce a design containing only hollow, U and Z profiles. This would stop water leaking into the structure and – by painting all exposed parts – deliver an excellent corrosion protection.