Tata Steel offers an extensive range of high-quality packaging steels in various widths, gauges and coatings. Our range includes tinplate, tin-free steels (ECCS), blackplate, and our market-leading Protact® laminated steel.
We are also a leading supplier of special grades and finishes for requirements including easy-open end applications and promotional packaging. Our packaging steels meet all your needs for strength, surface finish and forming properties and are tailored to suit your production processes and end-uses. We offer technical expertise and customer support to help you:
- optimize the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of your production processes - for less spoilage and fewer rejects
- create even more efficient product designs and improve pack performance
- bring packaging solutions to market faster
Protact laminated steel is food-safe and optimised for efficient, sustainable canmaking with opportunities for differentiated brand performance. It is a proven material solution across a number of high-performance canmaking applications and formats.
We supply a wide range of proven tinplate products for applications including DWI cans, easy-open ends and flow-brightened 3-piece cans. We offer reliable product quality and short lead times to support your production demands.
Well-proven in a range of applications, our tin-free packaging steel (ECCS) delivers reliable quality for efficient processing. ECCS provides an excellent substrate for lacquering and is available in a wide choice of grades, thickness and surface finish to suit your processes and applications.
Our track record in blackplate production spans several decades. Used as a proven substrate for our packaging steels, it delivers excellent shape, consistent dimensional tolerances and reliable mechanical properties.
Steel is the world’s most recycled packaging material. It protects and preserves its contents and helps to reduce waste by offering a long shelf life. Steel packaging is easy to recover from mixed waste streams and can be recycled over and over again with no loss of quality.
At Tata Steel, we are committed to playing our part in moving towards a sustainable global society. As a major producer of steel for packaging, we invest time, expertise and money in operations and initiatives that both promote and deliver sustainability in packaging.
We take action to:
- recycle steel packaging on a huge scale. This is facilitated through our Packaging Recycling department in the UK which also promotes the benefits of recycling
- demonstrate our full commitment to the circular economy
- play our part in ensuring an effective regulatory environment for steel packaging by supporting the action required to achieve recycling targets
- ensure our packaging complies with REACH regulations – as in our work on REACH and chromium-free passivation
- deliver benefits from steel recycling by working in partnership with others
Our technical approach optimises production processes, reduces costs and focuses on continuously improving the performance of packaging steel. We draw on our knowledge and experience to develop new grades for the future.
Tata Steel is committed to the future of packaging steel and it shows in our innovative approach to steelmaking and tinplate production. We translate technical production and market knowledge into effective development programmes. By entering into initiatives across the supply chain, we ensure more effective delivery.
Whether it's lighter, more sustainable steel, the latest process engineering development, or the newest food safety legislation, we have both the strong supply chain involvement and the market-aware technology to deliver tomorrow's steel packaging.
Applications for packaging steels
Paint and industrial
PO Box 10000
1970 CA IJmuiden