Our electrolytic chromium coated steel (ECCS) for packaging is well-proven in a range of applications. Providing an excellent substrate for lacquering, this tin-free steel is available in a wide choice of grades, thickness and surface finish to suit your processes and applications.
To ensure compliance with upcoming European legislation, we are developing a new chromium III-based coating for our tin-free steel.
Packaging and related applications for our tin-free steel include:
• easy-open ends
• classic (standard) ends
• twist-off caps
• 2-piece DRD
• specialty packaging
• microwaveable cans
Wide choice to meet your needs
We offer a wide choice of tin-free steel – tailoring our products to meet your required strength, surface finish and forming requirements. Our food-safe ECCS packaging material is produced using Tata Steel’s blackplate.
Bespoke tempering and investment in both batch and continuous annealing ensure that we can match requirements for a variety of applications.
We supply tin-free packaging steel in a choice of:
• single reduced and double reduced steel grades – with material tempered to match your strength and ductility requirements
• thickness (gauge) – with scope for downgauging thanks to our direct rolling operations which produce thin-gauge material with increased strength
• surface finish – to meet your processing needs and product performance requirements
• width - up to 41.34” (1050mm) but with extra-wide 47.25” or 1200mm material under development for optimized operational flexibility and output
• oils – for protection in transit
Reliable quality for efficient canmaking and product performance
We have a proven track record in ECCS manufacture. Our fully-traceable tin-free products benefit from the dependable quality of our blackplate feedstock and ongoing investment at our dedicated packaging steel mills.
All of our processes – from initial pickling, through rolling, annealing, tempering and chromium coating – are carefully controlled and monitored. Process control is combined with rigorous inspection to deliver:
• reliable mechanical properties – including earing properties required for 2-piece drawn can production
• consistently good shape and dimensional tolerances – for efficient processing
• precise surface coating chemistry – for reliable lacquering
• homogenous coating coverage – for corrosion resistance (although ECCS is not suitable for highly acidic can contents)
• excellent surface finish – at a roughness to match your requirement and achieved through careful control of both direct and temper mill rolling
New tin-free steel development for REACH compliance
The new European REACH regulation for chemicals controls the use of Chromium 6 in the production process for packaging steel. We have developed a new, REACH compliant coating to replace traditional ECCS. In addition to delivering a fully-compliant coating, our investment in this new coating plant allows us to produce extra-wide (up to 47.25” (1200mm)) tin-free material.
Our new tin-free steel will be fully-proven in trials. It will be available in time to meet new REACH legislation. It will:
• provide required product performance – by matching the material properties currently offered by ECCS
• enable you to maintain canmaking operations - by avoiding the need for changes to your processes
• deliver scope for improved output – through availability in widths up to 47.25” (1200mm)
Responsive service to suit your production demands
Our flexible, multi-site operations and robust supply chain infrastructure mean we can offer lead times to suit your production demands.
Tata Steel ECCS can be supplied in:
• coil or sheets
• DOS or ATBC oil
Our approachable ECCS experts are happy to advise you on the best products to meet your needs. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
The following downloads contain further information: