To share our best practice knowledge and expertise, we’ve launched the Colorcoat® Life Building platform.
Using a fabric first approach, we help you bring sustainable buildings to life with a wealth of useful material that’s all in one place and easy to navigate to other relevant resources.
Providing guidance on the use of steel-intensive building envelope systems and pre-finished steel products to deliver effective, long-term and sustainable buildings together with our Colorcoat® supply chain partners. Our aim is to minimise our impact on the environment and stimulate success for the construction industry.
Supported by real life case studies, we demonstrate how easy it is to incorporate sustainable credentials into projects from the outset. By focusing our collective efforts on maximising the effectiveness of a building throughout its complete lifecycle, we set the standard in how new construction and refurbishment projects benefit a brighter future that creates prosperity and value.
Available online as an interactive e-book or to download, the comprehensive guide provides information on the key design and construction considerations necessary to achieve a sustainable, steel-intensive building and tackles critical factors in environmental influences.
The guide provides guidance on the use of building envelope solutions and pre-finished steel products to help deliver effective, durable and environmentally friendly buildings. It also demonstrates how sustainability credentials can easily be incorporated into projects from the outset and discusses the importance of taking a life-cycle approach to building product specification.
Section 1 of our guide examines the key design and construction considerations to achieve a sustainable building and tackle critical factors in environmental influences.
We provide guidance on the use of steel-intensive building envelope solutions and pre-finished steel products to deliver effective, long-term and environmentally sustainable buildings.
- Building envelope design considerations
- The Building Regulations
- Planning Requirements
- Client Requirements
Section 2 of our Colorcoat® Life Building guide examines the environmental influences that impact the design and construction of a sustainable building envelope.
Here, we provide impartial advice and guidance on the key considerations for material and system selection, including;
- Designing in steel
- Steel and sustainability
- Life cycle assessment and environmental product declarations
- Responsible sourcing, and how we measure up
- Benefits of pre-finished steel cladding systems
- The impact of product specification on whole-life costs
- Maximising BREEAM credits for the building envelope
This section details the key design considerations for cost-effective energy efficient building envelopes to outline the important factors that will help the industry achieve its sustainable building targets.
Here, we provide impartial advice and guidance on the crucial aspects in energy efficient buildings, including;
• Understanding Part L, how building envelopes help to conserve heat and power, and how to comply with the requirements
• Background to CO2 emissions calculations
• Fabric considerations for energy efficient design
• Airtight building envelopes
• Designing to eliminate thermal bridging
• Heating and ventilation design for reduced operating costs
• Energy efficient lighting
• Integration of renewable energy solutions
• An overview of our Colorcoat Renew SC® integrated solar air heating solution, and how it works
• Building operation in practice
This section of our guide focuses on how risk can be reduced through material performance considerations to support end clients and the design and construction team during the build, operation and redevelopment phases.
Here, we provide clear and concise guidance based on our extensive experience working with our supply chain partners across a broad range of building envelope projects. This includes;
• An overview of health and safety practices
• CDM regulations - understanding the role of the Principal Designer
• Building Regulations requirements, and testing to demonstrate compliance
• CE Marking
• Product safety data sheets
• End of life disposal and future proofing
• Durability of products and cladding systems, and the performance of Colorcoat® cladding systems
• The role of pre-finished steel in achieving sustainable buildings
• The importance of product testing
• Reducing risk with guaranteed performance
• Structural, acoustic and building energy performance
Colorcoat Connection® helpline