Blacksmith and star of Sky TV’s Forged in Britain, Alec Steele, has nearly 2.5 million subscribers on YouTube and has long fostered a desire to see the largest steelworks in the UK.
That dream came true recently, when he spent the day visiting the Blast Furnaces, Steelplant, Casters and Hot Mill at Port Talbot.
Alec, aged 23 and from Norfolk, first became interested in industry at the age of 11 when he saw a demonstration at his local forge. Now he specialises in making swords, sculptures, tools and more.
He said: “Thank you so much for putting on such a brilliant tour for us. I feel incredibly privileged to have had the opportunity to see the site.”
Head of Public Relations Tim Rutter said: “Everybody loves the steelworks, so when we have the chance to get an influencer such as Alec talking so enthusiastically about our industry, it can only be a good thing.
“Hopefully it will inspire youngsters to come and join us and show people the scale, passion and technology we have in our company.”
Alec added: “I always feel a touch nervous when we walk around filming people at their work, but the friendliness, warmth and joy for the job everyone had made the day of filming such a breeze.
“It’s a special place here, that’s for sure.”
About Tata Steel UK
- The Tata Steel Group has been named one of the most ethical companies in the world, and is among the top producing global steel companies with an annual crude steel capacity of 34 million tonnes.
- Tata Steel in the UK has the ambition to produce net-zero steel by 2050 at the latest, and to have reduced 30% of its CO2 emissions by 2030.
- Tata Steel is the largest steelmaker in the UK with primary steelmaking at Port Talbot in South Wales supporting manufacturing and distribution operations at sites across Wales, England and Northern Ireland as well as Norway, Sweden, France and Germany. It also benefits from a network of international sales offices around the world.
- Tata Steel employs more than 8,000 people and has an annual crude steel capacity of 5 million tonnes, supplying high-quality steel products to demanding markets, including construction and infrastructure, automotive, packaging and engineering.
- Tata Steel Group is one of the world's most geographically-diversified steel producers, with operations and a commercial presence across the world.
- The Group recorded a consolidated turnover of US $32.83 Bn in the financial year ending March 31, 2022.