Tata Steel’s world-class Shotton Works in Deeside, North Wales is benefitting from a £3 million investment to upgrade its two Colorcoat® paint lines, improving quality and reducing paint use by 650,000 litres each year.
Works Manager Bill Duckworth said: “This is one of the biggest investments on the site in recent years and underlines our commitment to ever-improving product quality and to reducing our impact on the environment through minimising our use of materials in line with our recent sustainability commitment.”
Bill added: “The replacement and upgrading of our paint coater heads and control systems with the latest technology will also mean they can be integrated with on-line measurement technologies.”
Lead Engineer for the project Dave Prytherch explained: “Coater heads are fundamental to the Colorcoat® production process, being used to apply paint to the steel strip substrate. Upgrading them will deliver greater control of the paint application process by improving how the paint is transferred onto the strip, and will give us infinite repeatability.
“The current coater heads rely on manual adjustments to set the paint thickness, whereas the new heads incorporate a servo motor control, which will provide much greater accuracy and safer hands-free operations.”
Chris Edwards, Technical Manager KCS Herr Voss UK Ltd, who provided and installed the equipment, said: “‘This has been a great project to work on because there has been a lot of design input between the team at Shotton and ourselves. We’re confident that the installation will increase the potential for cost savings and improve the quality by maximising the consistency of the coating process.”
Commissioning of the new finish coater heads on Colorcoat® No.1 line has now been completed, with work on Colorcoat® No.2 expected to be completed in June 2023.
For further information:
Tim Rutter on +44 (0)7850 990755 or email@example.com or
Abigail Thomas on firstname.lastname@example.org
- A video of the project is viewable here
- Colorcoat® products are used globally for building envelope, roof and wall cladding systems in a wide range of industrial and commercial buildings, including warehousing, distribution and logistics, as well as schools, offices, retail and leisure applications amongst many others. The products are supported by a range of services such as comprehensive guarantees, colour consultancy, technical support and guidance and have been comprehensively tested and manufactured to the highest European standards.
- Colorcoat® pre-finished steel products made in the UK are certified to BES 6001 Responsible Sourcing standard.
- In 2022, Shotton works launched its sustainability commitment with four themes:
- Reducing our site’s carbon footprint
- Developing and producing products and services that support sustainable construction
- Protecting and expanding the biodiversity that co-exists on our site
- Maximising our material efficiency and achieving zero onsite waste
About Tata Steel UK
- The Tata Steel Group has been named one of the most ethical companies in the world, and is among the top producing global steel companies with an annual crude steel capacity of 34 million tonnes.
- Tata Steel in the UK has the ambition to produce net-zero steel by 2050 at the latest, and to have reduced 30% of its CO2 emissions by 2030.
- Tata Steel is the largest steelmaker in the UK with primary steelmaking at Port Talbot in South Wales supporting manufacturing and distribution operations at sites across Wales, England and Northern Ireland as well as Norway, Sweden, France and Germany. It also benefits from a network of international sales offices around the world.
- Tata Steel employs more than 8,000 people and has an annual crude steel capacity of 5 million tonnes, supplying high-quality steel products to demanding markets, including construction and infrastructure, automotive, packaging and engineering.
- Tata Steel Group is one of the world's most geographically-diversified steel producers, with operations and a commercial presence across the world.
- The Group recorded a consolidated turnover of US $32.83 Bn in the financial year ending March 31, 2022.